Thursday, July 1, 2010

Touchdown!

We arrived safe and sound in Paris this morning. We then travelled by car for about two hours (lots of traffic for first half) to the farmhouse where we are staying. The countryside was quite beautiful. It was all farmland with hardly a house or town in site.

We stopped at a gas station to get some drinks and had trouble paying with our credit card. After trying several times, the clerk then swiped the card from the other end. Lo and behind, it worked! However, 10 minutes later, it didn't work at the toll booth. It appears we may be in for some interesting times!

Today I got my first test in letting go of control! There were two cars to pick us up at the airport, one that James was going to drive and one our host was driving. It was decided that I would ride with our host and James would follow.

For the first 30 minutes it was a white knuckle ride. It was bumper to bumper traffic and my French host felt that we needed to break some land speed record (with lots of dodging in and out of traffic too!) I really didn't think I was going to make it, literally and figuratively. But, I kept telling myself, this guy hadn't killed himself yet, so why would today be any different (plus, I just shut my eyes a whole bunch of times).

We made it to the house and found it charming, endearing and very rustic. A 200+ year old farmhouse certainly has a lot of character!!

I'll post some pics soon.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

The credit card issue can be difficult. You might try to call the company that you use and let them know that you are traveling in Europe if you haven't already so that they don't block your card due to irregular spending patterns.
Welcome!! We're still hoping to see you in a couple of weeks.