Friday, November 26, 2010

French Fridays with Dorie - pommes dauphinois

While in France this summer (yes, I like to drop that at factoid anytime I can...mainly because it reminds me that I actually did spend two months in France this summer and often wish I was right back there, at any given moment), we had pommes dauphinois several times.  Each time we had them, they were incredible.  One time, my sister was expecting them with her dinner and she didn't get them and was quite upset.  (You can even read about that dinner in Chablis, if you like, where I had the most fabulous Oeufs en Meurette.)

I was thrilled to see that this recipe had been selected for one of the November choices.  I had high expectations of this dish.  I've made scalloped potatoes a gazillion times (ok, maybe only 100 times...but who's counting).  I don't use a recipe...I just slice up my potatoes, make a bechamel sauce that I add cheese to (more commonly known as a cheese sauce) and layer everything together.  My scalloped potatoes are pretty darn tasty, if I do say so myself.  However, the pommes dauphinois that we had in France were sublime.  Really, they were incredibly delicious, delicate, creamy and a little cheesy.  But they were subtle, they didn't hit you over the head with cheese.  Comfort food at it's best.  I was very hopeful that Dorie's recipe would give me the same result.

I'm so happy to report that her recipe lived up to and surpassed my expectations.  It is simple, elegant and truly delicious.  Each bite is a joy.  In fact, my taste buds were so happy, I thought they were never going to stop singing!

For me, the star of the show is the garlic infused cream.  While it was simmering on the stove, the house smelled heavenly.  I could not resist taking a few spoonfuls straight from the pan.  As it was cooking, I knew the final dish was going to be terrific.



Alas, I have no process photos for this recipe, as I made it with the chicken from last week, when I had company and no time for photos.  Only a couple of shots of the final dish before it was devoured!  And devoured it was.  Our company loved it, as did my boys!  To see what everyone else at French Fridays with Dorie made, take a peak here.  Also, if you'd like to purchase Dorie's cookbook and cook along with us, go to Dorie's website.

On a side note, I got to use my v-slicer (mandolin) on the potatoes, which made beautiful, uniform 1/8" slices.  I was very careful with it, so I wouldn't slice anything other than the potatoes.  I used my food processor to grate the Gruyere (to save a little time).  I, of course, sliced my thumb something awful cleaning the food processor blade.  You, lucky reader, are spared the gory pictures (just joking, there are no pictures...too much blood, didn't want to get it on the camera).  After I cut it, I still had to finish dinner (since I had company), so St. James just super glued the cut together.  After a week of it not really healing, I realized it probably should have had a few stitches...but at that point it was too late!  Ah, the things I do to ensure a great meal!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good post.

tricia s. said...

This was hysterical- loved the post. Not only because you had a victory with the potatoes....but I love the way you joke about dropping the "factoid". I went with Nana for 10 days this spring and it was fantastic. We had both been before but we left hubbys and kids home and just went on a girl trip. For that amount of time just in Paris it was easy for us to pretent that we were locals. Locals that don't speak French :)I have photos as screen savers on home and work laptops and love it when folks ask me about the shots. It always reassures me and makes me feel like I am truly just 6 or so hours away---you could go back at any time. Hence- I totally relate and this stuff gets me through all the days when I don't have Laduree......