Sunday, December 5, 2010

Buttermilk Pie...just because.


Somehow, when I was shopping for Thanksgiving, I bought a carton of buttermilk.  I could have sworn one of my pie recipes called for buttermilk.  But, after cooking all my Thanksgiving treats, I still had a carton of buttermilk.  Now, unlike my dear grandmother (who would drink a glass of buttermilk just for the heck of it), I've never been partial to the stuff myself. What was I going to do with a carton of buttermilk?

I guess I could make buttermilk pancakes or buttermilk biscuits.  While I was perusing Foodgawker to see if they were ever going to publish one of my pictures (which they finally did here, yeah!!!), I found a link to a site that then led me to Joy the Baker where I found a recipe for Buttermilk Pie.  Oh boy, this is what I'm talkin' about!  I love custards and custard pie and this looked just like a custard pie, only made with buttermilk.  Plus, the crust had buttermilk in it too!  Luckily, I had all the other ingredients needed, so I whipped out this terrific Buttermilk Pie.  Instead of the warm blackberry sauce, I made warm cherry sauce (since I had homemade cherry preserves in the cupboard and know how much the boys like cherries).

I was right.  We had some friends over for dinner and everyone scarfed the pie.  I will say that Ethan's first couple of bites were a little doubtful, but when he said the sauce was really good, I told him to take a bite of the pie with the sauce.  The sweet cherry sauce (with a touch of Cointreau) was the perfect offset to the tartness of the buttermilk custard.  The crust was flaky and delicious too!  If you'd like to treat your family to a lovely Buttermilk Pie, you can get the recipe here.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

yummychunklet said...

Looks delicious! I always seem to have leftover buttermilk from some recipe, so this would be a nice alternative to making pancakes or biscuits.

garlutti said...

rico rico...muy rico ..delicioso desde VIGO -GALICIA -ESPAÑA . SALUDOS MARIMI