Friday, September 2, 2011

French Fridays with Dorie - corn soup

Nothing says summer more than fresh corn (and fresh tomatoes...but they play no part in this week's FFwD recipe).  Corn soup sounds pretty simple...straight forward and easy.  And guess what?  It pretty much is.  First, you cut the corn off the cob (Dorie suggests doing this in a big bowl and it worked great...I've always done it on a cutting board and ended up with corn everywhere.  Score 1 for a new tip from Dorie!)


Boil some whole milk and add corn cobs (this is my favorite part...I love that we use the corn cobs to infuse the milk with the essence of corn!)


Then you gently saute onions in butter until they glisten, but do not take on any color.

Then you add in the other veggies and saute until tender.
Amazing colors!
Notice the lovely herbs in the pan?  The rosemary is from my herb garden (a term I totally use loosely, as the herb garden has two herbs right now...rosemary & basil...but hey, it's plants in the ground so it qualifies as a garden).

Also, I wasn't suppose to put the herbs in the pot while the veggies were sauteing, so I had to fish them out and then add them with the liquids a bit later.  Jeez, if I'd read every word of the recipe before I start, I wouldn't have to fish rosemary and thyme out of a hot pot.  After sauteing the veggies, you add the liquids and simmer for about 20 minutes.  Then you pick out whatever herb stems you can, use your immersion blender and blend it all up.  Dorie says if you want really smooth soup, put it through a sieve...I didn't want really smooth soup. 

I loved how the carrot added a little color (unfortunately, I had to use white corn, so my soup was not an amazing yellow, but it was still pretty enough).  I'm going to serve the soup for lunch later today with Dorie's suggested crumbled bacon (my own home made bacon of course) and a bit of sour cream (can't find creme fraiche close to home).  The soup on it's own is really light, flavorful and delicious, can't wait to try it with the bacon and sour cream.
Not nearly as pretty as when it was cooking.
 Curious how my fellow Doristas did this week and what wonderful modifications/additions they might have made to this recipe?  Well check them all out here.  Might I also suggest getting Dorie's book and making this lovely summer recipe yourself.  You'll thank me, really!





15 comments:

Elin said...

Yea...this is a lovely soup and I am so glad I managed to get her book and cook along with the rest of you :) Yours looks great too :)

Anonymous said...

Your photo looks very elegant!
Very impressed that you grow your own herbs!

Kris' Kitchen said...

Beautiful soup. I was into chunky soup this week which made this one even easier for me. Love your photos.

Tammy said...

I used yellow corn, but mine didn't turn out as yellow as some others I'm seeing on my tour through the blogs. It was still very good!

Cher Rockwell said...

I totally added my herbs at the front end. Directions and I never do so well together.
Cool to see you still rockin' the homemade bacon...

Anonymous said...

Cutting the corn in the bowl was new for me too, isn't that so much easier? I love it when I learn something new like that.

Frankly Entertaining said...

I'm very impressed with the homemade bacon! I love that there are so many different options with this recipe.

Adriana said...

Yum is the word indeed. Someday I'll be brave enough to make my own bacon. Keep some kitchen tongs handy for the herb removal missions. I almost did the same thing!

Kathy said...

This soup was just ok for me! I thought it lacked something, however, I did enjoy it for lunch today! Yours looks delicious! Nice photos!

Anonymous said...

Your soup looks great!I'm so jealous you can grow anything, I try to keep fresh herbs around but its a joke, honestly... they all die regardless of what I do to keep them alive.... lol

Confessions of a Culinary Diva said...

Homemade bacon sounds pretty amazing!

My soup also was with white corn so not the beautiful yellow I saw in so many other posts. Thankfully the garnishes added a bit of flair!

Betsy said...

I love using every bit of the vegetable, so steeping those corn cobs in the milk really floated my boat. I did strain my soup and it was so velvety -- more what I was in the mood for this week. I really loved this soup, especially with the bacon garnish. I'm jealous that you have homemade bacon.

Anonymous said...

Two herbs in the ground totally counts as a garden - and they are alive. I killed the sage plant this year. :-(

Lovely soup.

Anonymous said...

Love your photos of the sauteed vegetables - the colours are great. Bacon is such a perfect garnish for this sweet soup and I'm looking forward to trying Dorie's seafood suggestions with this soup another time. Kudos for making your own bacon, by the way. I'm so impressed with all the Charcutepalooza participants.

luciacara said...

I love the photo of the fresh carrots in the pot - beautiful colors!