Monday, October 25, 2010

Monday night dinner

Tonight we had Savory Grilled Chicken with Honey & Sesame Butter (one of my favorite Dream Dinners), Porcini Mushroom Risotto (from a package that I bought at the Pasadena Cheese store...imported from Italy) and cauliflower-bacon gratin from around my french table.  Sure couldn't tell it was Monday night at my house.  The great thing about all of this is I decided at 4:30 to make the Risotto and Gratin and still had dinner on the table at 5:30.

I had the Chicken dinner thawing in the fridge from Friday (when I thought I was going to cook it for dinner and then got side-tracked with joining French Fridays with Dorie and needing to cook the hachis parmentier Friday night), so I knew all day we were having chicken for dinner.  I remembered that I had purchased two Risotto packages from the Cheese store (porcini mushroom & black truffle), so I thought I'd give one of them a try.  I opened my crisper to pull out some squash and found the beautiful cauliflower that I had purchased last week with the intention of making the gratin from Dorie's book and had promptly forgotten about.  It called to me...cook me tonight!

So, I flipped open Dorie's book, scanned the recipe and thought, yep...I can do this.  OK, issue number one...don't just scan a recipe.  Halfway in I realized I needed 5 eggs (only had 3 left after my marathon cooking this weekend), Gruyere (had to use Blue Jack instead), and heavy cream (had to substitute 1/2 and 1/2).  So, I tweaked the recipe quite a bit to fit my ingredients.  It still came out super yummy (how could anything with bacon in it not be yummy?)...and Ethan and James both ate all of theirs (which anyone who knows James knows is amazing since he doesn't like very many cooked vegetables...raw is fine...just not cooked).

The chicken was delish too, but the risotto wasn't a hit.  Ethan asked me if my feelings would be hurt if he threw his away (such a considerate kid).  I told him not at all, since it had come from a package.  I'm bummed about the risotto...the package cost $8 and was a splurge!  That will teach me...I should just make my own next time.  Here's what it all looked like!  I just discovered Picasa and am playing with collages...so bear with me.

No comments: