Thursday, October 28, 2010

My Adventures in France...by Megan Iverson

My niece, Megan, wrote an essay for her English class about her trip to France.  I thought it was wonderful and wanted to share her perspective.  Here it is...verbatim.




Adventures in France
By Megan Iverson


It was the day before I was going to have the best month ever; I packed in, then back out, then back in, about twenty times just to make sure that I packed everything. My mom was stressing out, my dad was giving us so many hugs, and my brother, well he was just playing video games. My sister and I were finally prepared. We had to go to bed, but I had so much anxiety that I could not sleep. The next day I was going to go stay with my Aunts Uncle and cousins in France!

“BEEP. BEEP.” my alarm clock beeped.

I immediately got up, and my mom was right there watching me sleep. I was thinking in my head, what the heck are you doing. She told me to get up and get dressed. I slipped on my sweatpants and we were off. My mom drove us to LAX and there I could have sworn I saw Cameron Diaz, one of the best actresses ever! We checked through baggage and we were off. My sister and I met up with my Aunts friends and we flew to Paris, France. On the plane it was really fun because we were allowed to watch movies and there was a lot of space.

“Hi Auntie!” I said with excitement

“Hey sweetie” my aunt said.

We continued with our boring “how are you doing” good what about you” kind of conversation, after that we got into a car, and the car had “a lot of character.” My aunt drove us to our little town called Burgundy, we were on the outskirts of town. My cousins greeted us at the door and showed us the house. The house was very rustic, there were no screens on the window, and it was very open. The house on the outside was beautiful, but on the inside I was thinking, how someone can even begin to fathom living in this house. The catch phrase “Don’t judge a book by its cover applies to this situation.

We had many great adventures in France, but this one was one of the ones that stood out the most. We went zip lining in France! It was a lot of fun, many people did not speak English, so we had to get out our guide book and try understanding what they were saying and what we were going to say to them. It was a challenge, but eventually we figured it out. We learned what to do and we were on our way. My cousins and I were up about 200 feet up in the air…trying to figure out the hard obstacles…without any help. We struggled to get the challenges, and we were very determined. We finally made it through everything but the red level (the hardest, my aunt wouldn’t let us do it). After we got done un-gearing ourselves we went out for pizza at our favorite pizza place in France. It was delicious.

Have you ever wondered where all of the kings, princesses, princes, etc.? People have always lived in France or Italy, or Spain, but they never say if they lived in a house or chaetae, or even a barn. Well I went to a chaetae that ALL the high in power went. People way back when made sure to get every royal highness to sleep in that chaetae even if it was just for a night. It was ignoramus, and we got to tour it! It had very high class living suppliences. They had everything in the chaetae from balconies, to churches, to even thinking rooms. We saw at least 24 rooms. It was insane!

The very last thing we did is the very best thing. We went to the very top of the Eiffel Tower! It was the very best thing about the whole entire trip. I was very nervous and excited at the same time. As we were in line to go up on the elevator onto the Eiffel Tower a man walked up to me and said, “Buy! Buy! From me!” I got a little freaked out and my aunt said to just stay away from them, that they were just trying to sell me some junk.

“Next!” the woman running the elevators said.

Oh Geez. It was our turn to go up. All seven of us got onto the elevator, we were very squished. DING. DING. DING. Off we go. We got onto a whole different elevator to the very top.

“Oh my goodness!!” I said.

We walked around got good look of our surroundings, took a few pictures, and we just enjoyed being able to be that lucky. I mean, how many people can say that they have been to the top of the Eiffel tower!

My summer was the best summer ever! Not only was it fun, but it also changed my life forever. I learned a new way of living, new surroundings, and even a new language! Well as the French say it, “Au Revoir!”

2 comments:

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

Can imagine it all and the drive to Burgundy too!Had missed this post and am glad to catch up with ur beautiful travel!
“Au Revoir!”

Steph said...

Thanks Mia! I love remembering this trip! Especially through the eyes and words of those who were with us on it.